National Identity Card [fr]

JPEG To obtain a National Identity Card (NIC), you need first to make an appointment online with one of our agents at the French Consulate General. On the day of the appointment, you need to arrive with the required documents according to your situation: if you are a minor, if this is the first request or a renewal.

Secure National Identity Card (NIC)

GIF Apply in person at the Consulate, along with:
- Your old, expired national identity card.
- Two recent photographs (Note: we will only accept good quality photos that comply with the requirements and have no inscription at the back).
- A full copy of your birth certificate stating filial relationship, or a copy of the family record book (“livret de famille”) belonging to the applicant or his/her parents.
- A valid consular card.

National ID cards are issued free of charge for (1) first time applicants and (2) for renewals on presentation of your old card. For a renewal, if you are unable to produce your old card, you will be charged a fee of 25 €.

Extending the validity period of your identity card

As of 1 January 2014, the validity period for national identity cards was extended from 10 to 15 years for adults (persons over the age of 18).

The five year extension for identity cards applies to:

  • new, secure identity cards (plastic cards), issued to adults from 1 January 2014;
  • secure identity cards (plastic cards) issued to adults between 2 January 2004 and 31 December 2013.

NOTE: This extension does not apply to secure national identity cards for minors. These are valid for a 10 year period following the date of issue. There is no need to visit the Consulate.

If your identity card was issued between 2 January 2004 and 31 December 2013, your card’s validity will automatically be extended by 5 years. No specific procedure is required. The date of validity written on the title will not be amended.

The following countries accept the national identity card as a travel document:

  • European Union countries : Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, United Kingdom, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Czech Republic;
  • From the Schengen zone : Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland;
  • Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican, San Marino;
  • Albania, ex/former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia ;
  • Turkey;
  • Egypt;
  • Tunisia (only for those with dual citizenship or those taking part in group trips organized by a travel agent);
  • Morocco (only for those with dual citizenship or those taking part in group trips organized by a travel agent).
    Translated fact sheets for all these countries are available for download on the website of the Ministry of the Interior.

To avoid any inconveniences during your stay, you are urged to consider using a valid passport as opposed to an expired national ID card, even if it’s considered valid by the French authorities.

A reminder about identity documents and visas

Check which documents are required (national identity card, passport, visa) in order to enter and stay in your destination country. You can find this information from the Embassy or Consulate of the relevant country in France. Certain countries require passports to be valid for several months after your return.

Only a valid national identity card is required to travel within the European Union (EU).

Outside the EU, most States require that you present a passport that is valid for several months after the date on which you plan to return to France. Don’t delay in making an appointment at your local prefecture to renew your passport.

It might be a good idea to keep copies of your documents at home (in case of theft or loss abroad) and to get at least 2 identity photos.

For added security, the Department of Foreign Affairs suggests you save these documents on the website This portal allows you to create a personal storage space that is personalized, confidential, free of charge and available online 24/7, in a just few clicks. In the event that your identity documents are lost or stolen, you can download these documents to facilitate the process of proving your identity.

In the event that your passport or national identity card is stolen or lost during a trip abroad, you must in the first instance make a statement at the local police station. Based on this statement, the Embassy or Consulate of France can draw up a pass or emergency passport, depending on the case. Note that fees do apply and this formality will take time.

All information relating to the request or renewal of your national identity card can be found on the website of the Ministry of the Interior.

publié le 15/11/2017

top of the page