IFAS Research: Call for Applications 2017
Fellowships PhD / Post-Doctorate
One or two doctoral or post-doctoral research positions are vacant at the French Institute of South Africa.
IFAS-Research is a French Research Institute Overseas under the supervision of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the CNRS (UMIFRE 25, USR 3336). Its regional mandate covers eleven countries in Southern Africa (South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia).
These posts are financed through non-renewable (save for exceptional reasons) relocation allowances (Aides à la mobilité) for six to nine months (maximum). Successful applicants will receive the scientific and logistic support of IFAS and will become involved in the scientific life of the Institute by regularly taking part in the ongoing activities (conferences, seminars, publications, etc.).
The relocation allowance comes to EUR - 1 200.00 net per month and, in addition, includes one Paris/Johannesburg/Paris trip which will be refunded on the basis of the price of an economic class air ticket.
Applicants must be French or registered in a French university. Applicants will be selected on the basis of scientific criteria only, although the integration potential of the project into the academic landscape of Southern Africa will be taken into consideration.
Priority will be given to applicants whose research is in line with the research programmes of the Institute:
Archaeology and Prehistory:
- Paleoanthropology, evolution of the hominids,
- Archaeology and multidisciplinary studies of Middle and Late Stone Ages, historical archaeology,
- Rock art.
Medieval, Early Modern and Contemporary History of Southern African Societies:
- Long distance connections, integration of Southern Africa in Atlantic and Indian Ocean circulations, material and cultural circulations since the first millennium CE,
- Social history, imperial history, social and racial hierarchies, slavery,
- Current issues of memory in Southern Africa, historical régimes, construction of fields and categories.
Contemporary Dynamics - Urbans Studies, Democratic and Economic Transformations:
Geography and urban studies, historical development of Southern African cities, governance, access to public services, security, spatial justice, right to the city, city memory,
- Migration studies, borders, xenophobia,
- Democratic mutations in Southern Africa, electoral dynamics, citizenship and its transformation, identity policies, nation-building processes,
- Resources, economic policy, comparative development economics, labour,
- Education, youth, social movement.
A specific interest will be shown to transregional projects, projects that challenge epistemological borders and proposals dealing with Lusophone Africa. Nevertheless, scientific excellence will remain the main criteria of selection.
List of documents to enclose in the application:
- A short introduction letter from the applicant (one page);
- A CV;
- The application form filled in electronically;
- A detailed description of the research project not exceeding 10 pages and containing the scientific project, a research agenda and institutional partnerships;
- Two reference letters from academics addressed to IFAS Director, Thomas Vernet.
Selection process of applications:
Please, send the application by email with a single pdf document attached, containing all the enclosures (including the form and the reference letters) to Thomas Vernet, IFAS Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The original of the two reference letters has to be sent by post to:
Afrique du Sud, Ambassade de France
Institut Français d’Afrique du Sud, Johannesburg
A l’intention de Thomas Vernet
MAEDI, Sous-direction du Courrier, de la Valise diplomatique et des Transports,
13 rue Louveau
92438 CHATILLON Cedex
Replies will be sent to applicants by e-mail after validation by the Research Advisory Committee of the Sub-Saharan Africa UMIFRE during the first semester of 2017.
NB: Unsuccessful candidates will be targeted for the call for funding for the year 2017. It is therefore unnecessary to send two applications.
Download the call for applications here.