Call for funding application July-December 2017
M.A - DOCTORAL - POST-DOCTORAL STUDENTS - SENIOR RESEARCHERS
The French Institute of South Africa-Research (IFAS-Research) has a regional mandate covering eleven countries in Southern Africa (South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia). IFAS-Research promotes and supports research projects in the Human and Social Sciences dealing with this area.
Within the framework of its research programming, IFAS-Research is launching an intermediary call for funding, covering the second half of the year 2017. A small number of projects will be funded; all must be completed or started during the year 2017 (no postponement to 2018 will be possible).
Download the call for funding and application forms:
- Call for funding and application forms.
- (Word - 56.2 kb)
All funding applications from research units, research units, researchers and students for research work , fieldwork or events must imperatively reach us before the 15th of July 2017. A specific interest will be show to projects of scientific events.
Nationality will not be a condition for application, although the existence or prospect of a long-lasting partnership between France and Southern Africa is essentiel, particularly bilateral or transregional projects.
Financial contribution from another institution is highly desirable. Funds allocated by IFAS-Research will be between EUR. 500 - 1 000, according to the project.
Applicants will receive replies by email before the end of July 2017.
All applications will be taken into consideration. However, priority will be given to applicants whose research is in line with the research programs of the Institute :
1. Archeology and Prehistory
Paleoanthropology, evolution of the hominids and Homo;
Archaeology and multidisciplinary studies of Middle and Late Stone Ages, historical archaeology;
2. Medieval, Early Modern and Contemporary History of Southern African Societies
Long distance connections, integration of Southern Africa in Atlantic and Indian Ocean circulations, material and cultural circulations since the first millennium CE;
Social history, imperial history, social and racial hierarchies, slavery;
Current issues of memory in Southern Africa, historical régimes, construction of fields and categories.
3. Contemporary Dynamics : Urban Studies, Democratic and Economic Transformations
Geography and urban studies, historical development of Southern African cities, governance, access to public services, security, spatial justice, right to the city, city memory;
Migration studies, borders, xenophibia;
Democratic mutations in Southern Africa, electoral dynamics, citizenship and its transformation, identity policies, nation-building processes;
Resources, economic policy, comparative developement economics, labor;
Education, youth, social movement.
A specific interest will be shown to transregional projects, projects that challenge epistemological borders and proposals dealing with Lusuphone Africa. Nevertheless, scientific excellence will remain the main criteria of selection.
List of documents to enclose in the application:
1. A short introduction letter from the applicant;
2. A detailed description of the research prokect not exceeding 5 pages and containing the scientific project, a research agenda, institutional partnerships, indications regarding the dissemination of results - please note that the existence or prospects of a partnership between France and Southern Africa is necessary;
3. A provisional budget indicating the amount of total funding, other sources of funding applied for and obtained, funding required from IFAS-Research (nature of expenses);
4. A CV of the candidate (3 pages max);
5. A reference letter from the research supervisor (for students);
6. The application form filled in electronically.
Applications can be send by email with a single .pdf document attached, containing all the documents requested (including the form and the reference letter) to Thomas Vernet-Vernet, IFAS-Research Director at comm.research[at]ifas.org.za
Deadline for applications: 15th July 2017